Monday, August 25, 2008

Elisabeth Hasselbeck Was Right

And I never thought I'd say those words in my lifetime.

She once said that the interesting thing about Clinton v. Obama was that we were finally going to see who America hated more, women or blacks. She predicted that the U.S. would hate women more. She was right.

Change? This was the platform The Manorexic ran on and we once again have two men running on the Democratic ticket. Joseph Biden was chosen "because of his extensive knowledge of foreign affairs." Translation? Obama has NO knowledge of foreign affairs.

Should we support people based on gender? Or maybe color? I think the O.J. jury could give us an answer on that but they're all out looking for the real killer. We'd like to believe that we support candidates based on their qualifications but then you run into George W. Bush and instead it looks like he was supported by dummies everywhere. Twice.

The idea that I may die without ever having seen a female president is unbelievable to me. If I was in my 20's, I might have voted for Obama. That's because I would not have known that once I entered the work force and stayed in it over the long haul, I would encounter so many glass ceilings that my head would be permanently scabbed. I think that women who don't work for a living have no idea how much head-butting they would actually take if they had to work in a man's world for a lifetime.

The only job I ever had where my gender was not a consideration in advancement was waitressing. In standup I was told things to my face that would suck my soul right out through my eyeballs. "We had a woman here once; she didn't do well so now we don't hire them anymore." Elayne Boosler, when asked what the difference was between a comedian and a comedienne, replied "$10,000."

Today women earn 77 cents to a man's dollar. In 1984 it was 59 cents. That's 18 cents in 24 years or 1.3333333 cents each year.

Women at the top translates to more women in positions of power everywhere, just like it does for men. So when today's 30 year-old women are in their golden years and have seen up close and personal that there is a glass ceiling in place everywhere but at McDonald's, and even there I'm not sure, maybe they'll rethink their vote in the next primary. That is if another woman ever gets that far again. The last one, Geraldine Ferraro, got to the VP position in 1984. That's 2 women in 24 years. Or 0.0833333 each year.

I'm not alone amongst Democrats who are pissed off. So I'm not going to waste my vote. I'm going to make it count. I will be heard and vote for McCain.

End of chat.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
celebrityphoto-blog | thecelebritycafe | celeb-hair-trend | sexywallpaper2012